Clack Birm® is a granular filter media commonly used for the reduction of iron and/or manganese from water supplies.
• Under the proper conditions, no chemicals to purchase for maintenance. Regeneration not required.
• Iron removal efficiency is extremely high.
• Negligible labour cost: only periodic backwashing required.
• Durable material with a wide temperature range.
• Weighs only 40-45 lbs./cu. ft.
CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
- Alkalinity should be greater than two times the combined sulphate and chloride concentration.
- Maximum water temp: 100o F/38o C
- Water pH range: 6.8-9.0
- Dissolved Oxygen (D.O.) content must be equal to at least 15% of the iron (or iron and manganese) content.
- Bed depth: 30-36 in.
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Backwash rate: 10-12 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash Bed Expansion: 20-40% of bed depth (min.)
- Service flow rate: 3.5-5 gpm/sq. ft. intermittent flow rates and/or favourable local conditions may allow higher flow rates INFLUENT AND BACKWASH LIMITATIONS
- Free chlorine concentration less than 0.5 ppm
- Hydrogen Sulfide should be removed prior to contact with Birm® media
- Oil: None Present
- Polyphosphates: None present
Clack Birm® may also be used for manganese reduction with the same dependability as iron removal. In these applications, the water to be treated should have a pH of 8.0-9.0 for the best results. If the water also contains iron, the pH should be below 8.5. High pH conditions may cause the formulation of colloidal iron which is very difficult to filter out. All other conditions remain the same for either manganese or iron removal.
BIRM Filter Media A8006 (0.5 or 1.0cu.ft)
Came on time with Hr we ordered! Very way to deal with. Great having soft water again!